Controlling Spiders In Hampton Roads
Pest Control Measures to limit Spiders In Your Home
1) keeping the outdoor lights turned off as much as possible after dark,
2) changing the light bulbs to yellow or amber,
3) moving the light well away from the house,
4) repeatedly cleaning down their webbing, or
5) having a Pest Control and Management Professional apply a limited area treatment with a residual insecticide to keep them away for at least a while.Anything you can do to reduce the populations of whatever the spiders are feeding on will similarly reduce the populations of spiders which are attracted to or build up at any site.
Spiders are generally considered to be helpful because they prey on a lot of insects, many of which are pests. All spiders have venom and use it to subdue their prey, as well as to pre-digest their prey’s body contents. You may not have known that spiders do have voluntary control of how much venom they inject during any bite-sometimes not injecting any venom at all (that could be called a ‘defensive’ bite, and usually occurs when a spider perceives it is being threatened or maybe when a leg is pinched).
Only a few spiders which live near or inside humans’ homes pose very much of a threat to bite people or cause human illness or death via their venom. These may include: Widow Spiders [especially the Black Widow, Latrodectus macta ns (Fab.)], Brown or “Fiddle-Backed” Spiders (especially the Brown Recluse, Loxosceles reclusa Gertsch & Mulaik), Hobo Spiders [Tegenaria agrestis (Walckenaer)L Sac Spiders (Chiracanthium spp.), and Jumping Spiders (Family: Salticidae). Several other spiders have been reported to occasiona lIy bite people, including Wolf Spiders, House Spiders, Ground Spiders, Orb Weavers, and even “pet” Tarantulas. Of all spiders occurring naturally in North America, only the Widow Spiders and Brown Spiders pose a threat of serious long-term debilitation or death.ln many other countries, people face various specifically dangerous species, such as the Funnel Web Spiders in Australia, whose single bite can kill an adult human literally in less than an hour.
If you are having a problem with spiders near or in your house, call our trained professionals to evaluate your situation and implement an efficient strategy to eliminate these pests and help prevent their return.